Wednesday, August 23 2017
Subscribe to email updates from Senator Donahue  
Jack Donahue Newsletter 5-25-2007 PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, May 24 2007 - 8:00 pm

Dear Friends,

As has been the case for the past several years, I have been attending committee and chamber meetings during this legislative session. I will continue to provide you my observations and suggestions on needed legislation and critical issues facing the state.

Here is my update for this week...

POLITICS AS USUAL, ETHICS, ROAD HOME DEBACLE...

Dear Friends,

As has been the case for the past several years, I have been attending committee and chamber meetings during this legislative session. I will continue to provide you my observations and suggestions on needed legislation and critical issues facing the state.

Here is my update for this week:

POLITICS AS USUAL

It is particularly distressing to observe at least some legislators continually congratulating themselves about all of their supposed "accomplishments." If there was so much progress, Louisiana would not be ranked so poorly on almost every important national list. Some legislators spend more time worrying about their next election than in doing the real work that is needed in Baton Rouge. With our systemic problems in so many areas of state government, there is a tremendous need for reform legislation. To move Louisiana forward, it will take true leadership from legislators working behind the scenes, building effective coalitions. Some legislators are doing the hard work needed for their district and the state, but sadly, they are in a minority.

ETHICS

If there is one bright spot this legislative session, it involves ethics reform. Some progress is being made. House bills 340, 352 and 733 have been passed by committee, taking an important step forward in improving our image and cleaning up our politics. Major legislation, HB 730, which is sponsored by the ethics reform organization LA Ethics, is making progress in the legislature. Another good government organization, Blueprint Louisiana, will present its ethics reform agenda in July.
For the remainder of the session, all of us need to continue to pressure the legislature to pass bills that will improve transparency in state government and public trust in our elected officials.

Louisiana has a horrible image for political corruption. If we intend to improve our economy and attract new business and industry to our state, it is essential that we demand full accountability, complete disclosure and ethical representation from our elected officials and political candidates.

ROAD HOME DEBACLE

Ever since Katrina, Louisiana politicians have made tragic errors in the rebuilding effort. Unfortunately, these problems have had a negative impact on thousands of hurricane victims, preventing them from rebuilding in the state. Our Road Home program is a true mess, with only 10% of victims receiving grants at this point. Friends, we are 21 months post-Katrina and 90% of the eligible storm victims have received zero. This is a travesty that demands a full investigation.
There might be a shortfall as large as $4 billion in the program. Legislators need to address this critical issue; however, sadly, I see many in Baton Rouge pointing fingers at the LRA, instead of working to fix the nightmare.
It is time for leadership in Baton Rouge and I stand ready to lead this district as the State Senator for District 11. The election will be held on Saturday, October 20. Please join me in this campaign to not only become your next State Senator, but to also begin the long process of turning around the great State of Louisiana.

Thank you.

I encourage you to contact me with your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions. I can be reached at (985) 612-1034 or via e-mail at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Sincerely yours,

Jack Donahue, Candidate for LA State Senate, District 11