Tuesday, August 02 2011 - 3:18 pm
The final session of my first term is complete, and I am pleased with many of the results from our work over the last four years.
On a state level there are many positive signs pointing to a brighter future. There are plenty things right about Louisiana! Here are some of them:
- The Louisiana Department of Education reports that the number of public schools earning a School Performance Score of 100 or higher has risen by 40% since 2009.
- A new report by The Nelson Rockefeller Institute of Government shows that three Louisiana universities are in the top 100 public research universities in the nation.
- “Prime Time Family Reading Time,” a Louisiana program aimed at breaking the cycle of illiteracy in at-risk families, has become a national model among reading initiatives.
- Louisiana’s global exports rose 26.7% in 2010, placing Louisiana ninth in state rankings.
- Louisiana Economic Development ranks first in Site Selection magazine’s list of state economic development agencies.
- Louisiana was named “State of the Year” by Business Facilities Magazine because of our recent business climate reforms, business development wins in 2010, innovative incentive programs, economic growth strategy, and world-class workforce training program.
There is a new day in Louisiana. I’m more proud than ever to be a Louisianan, and I’m both humbled and excited to have been part of the progress and reform of the last four years. Thank YOU for being part of our great state and for giving me the opportunity to serve.